amend your tax return

Making an amendment to your tax return

Once we have lodged your 2014-15 tax return and forwarded your notice of assessment to you saying that everything is as discussed, you may realise that something has been left out of your tax return or accidentally included an extra deduction. You might be left wondering “how do I amend my tax return?”.

The Australian tax system is based on “self assessment”, which means the Tax Office generally takes your word, under our guidance, and bases its assessment on the information provided. But if it subsequently becomes apparent that something is wrong, there is an option to make it right.

What if there is a mistake in your tax return?

It’s not all that uncommon for taxpayers to make a change to a tax return they have already lodged — often there can be a deduction that simply slipped your mind, or you realise that you received  income that you had forgotten about. Then there are the straight-out mistakes that we all make from time to time.

The important thing is to make sure that, as soon as you realise that the information you have reported to the Tax Office is incorrect or incomplete, you ask us to take actions to correct it. The way we can do this is to apply to make an amendment.

What if you disagree with a Tax Office decision?

It is also possible that you or we simply disagree with an associated penalty issued in relation to timing of lodgement of your return or interest charged on a shortfall amount, or some other decision made about your tax affairs that you or we may want to take issue with.

In this case, we would start by making an approach to the Tax Office via a phone call to try and remedy the situation before it gets bigger than Ben Hur. However, if the Tax Office digs its heels in, we can also help by lodging an objection. (See our article If you think the taxman is wrong, here’s what you can do.)

What will happen?

If the amendment we prepare for you involves an increase in the tax you should pay, then it is highly advisable you take the bull by the horn and ‘fess up. This will try to prevent, or at least reduce, penalties that may apply if you realise that the oversight may actually lead to a “false” return (even if not intentionally lodged as such).

The Tax Office will generally treat this as a voluntary disclosure of unpaid tax. You are likely to receive concessional treatment for any penalties and interest charges that apply (in which case you’ll still have to pay any outstanding tax, but we can ask on your behalf for concessional treatment of interest charges, or for a possible waiver all together depending on the amount).

If the amendment decreases the tax you owe, you will generally receive a refund (unless you have other tax debts) and may get some bonus interest to boot.

After the Tax Office processes our request for an amendment, a notice of amended assessment should be issued, showing the new amount payable or refundable. If we submit a request for an amendment before your tax return has been processed, the Tax Office will generally process them together, so that a standard notice of assessment is issued, not a notice of amended assessment. Sometimes additional information is needed to properly re-assess a tax return, in which case the Tax Office should ask us for this information within 14 days of receiving the amendment request.

Time limits for amending your tax return

There are time limits for making amendments to your tax return, generally

  • two years for individuals and small businesses and
  • four years for other taxpayers, including trust beneficiaries and members of partnerships.

We can submit on your behalf more than one amendment request within an amendment period.

So, if on current year discussions we identify something that we both didn’t realise we should have claimed in your previous year’s tax return, then we can amend that year!

While ignoring an error may seem to be an easier option, the trouble with this is that future dealings with the Tax Office may by muddied.

Since the process of asking for an amendment is fairly straightforward, and the fact that we are here to help, the better option is to make sure your tax affairs are in order sooner rather than later.